07 August 2012
Dental amalgam is the most commonly used dental restorative material used for dental fillings.
Fillings made with amalgam are also known as silver fillings.
Amalgam consists of combination of metals, these include silver, mercury, tin, copper and small amounts of zinc, iridium or palladium with development of tooth colored materials to restore teeth, amalgam is used less often than in the past.
Amalgum restorations for class-1 cavity, class-2 cavity, class-3 cavity, class-4 cavity and class-5 cavity.
- Long lasting and strong, with stand the forces of chewing.
- Less costly than the other material
- amalgam doesn’t match with natural color of tooth.
- amalgam doesn’t bond with natural tooth.
- Requirement of cavity preparation to keep filling in place.